Hair loss: a common problem

Most men and women experience some form of unusual hair loss at some point in their lives, either temporarily or permanently.

There are two possible reactions to this: acceptance or rejection. The latter is what generates one of the most frequent reasons for consultation, due to the cultural and social importance that hair has acquired in our current society (hair = beauty, youth, personality, security).

How and why

To understand why this happens, it is important to learn about normal hair growth.

The hair cycle is not synchronised in humans, meaning that while some hairs have stopped growing and will eventually fall out, others continue.

«Approximately 90% of hair is in continuous growth. The other 10% is in the resting phase, which lasts two to three months. At the end of the resting phase, the hair falls out”.

Under normal conditions, hair grows 1 centimetre per month; on the scalp we have between 100 thousand and 120 thousand follicles that each form a hair and normally between 50 and 100 are lost daily.

The growth phase is of variable duration (depending on each person, the climate and time of year) and can last from 2 to 6 years, which is why some people can have very long hair while in others the length of the hair has a certain limit.

By quickly treating the first visible signs of hair loss, we are more likely to keep our hair strong and healthy for longer.

Types of alopecia

Alopecia as a whole represents more than 8% of dermatology consultations. When there is hair loss, that is to say the loss of a quantity of hair becomes evident, a greater quantity of hair has entered the period of hair loss, and this may be due to different factors, which are multiple, and allow the classification of alopecia in two large groups: non-scarring and scarring which in turn may be congenital (of low frequency, they are those where there is no hair from birth) or acquired.

  • Non-scarring alopecia is the most common and can be improved or cured by treatments, such as the KERAVIT® range of products, and some even spontaneously revert without treatment. In this type of alopecia the hair follicle has a pathological behaviour but remains alive unless the alopecia continues for an extended period of time (common or androgenetic alopecia).
  • Common or androgenetic baldness is the most frequent as it affects 95% of people who suffer from hair loss. Male hormones (androgens) are responsible for hair loss in genetically predisposed people.

According to several statistics, it affects about 25% of men between 25 and 35 years old, 40% of those over 40 years old and 50% of those over 50 years old, with the percentage increasing in more advanced age groups. About 28% of women could be affected, although there are no extensive studies on this subject.

The hair loss begins at the crown (vertex) or in the frontal region (the temples). Over time, alopecia becomes progressive and worsens if appropriate treatment is not put into place early.

KERAVIT® Treatments

Discover which KERAVIT® treatment is suitable for you.